If you have had an application denied by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services or if you have
received an unfavorable decision, your application may be eligible for an appeal. Applications that can be appealed will fall under either the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO), which is a part of the Department of State, or the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), which is part of the Department of Justice. It is important that you know who has jurisdiction over your case prior to submitting an appeal.

The most common applications and petitions that the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO) has jurisdiction over are:

  • Forms i-140 and i-129 (Employment Visa Applications)
  • Form i-924 (Investor Visa Applications)
  • Form i-821 (Temporary Protected Status Applications)
  • Form i-129F (Fiancé Applications)
  • Forms i-600, i-600A, i-800, and i-800A (Orphan Applications)
  • Forms N-600 and N-565 (Certificate of Citizenship Applications)
  • Form i-360 (Special Immigrant Applications)

The Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) has jurisdiction over more complicated cases and decisions made by an Immigration Judge.

Whether or not your case is eligible for appeal differs based on the specific circumstances of the application. If you have received an unfavorable decision and you would like to file an appeal or receive information on your eligibility, call us at 301-515-1190.

Need Advice? Get a Free Phone Consultation!

Contact us today